Sunday, June 8, 2008

At Last!


At Last!
Since breaking my wrist last January I've been unable to do much of anything artistically. But I've discovered that I can use my embellishing machine with little difficulty.

This bookcover was made for my physical therapist, Rose, who loves the great sunflowers she grows behind her barn.

I used a silk chiffon scarf overdyed in reds and a luscious golden brown silk haboti for the background. I felted them into a piece of Peltex then overstitched with a metalic bronze thread on the "barn" and a taupe silk thread on the "ground". I then couched in some bits of fancy yarns to add definition. The back cover is sunflowers worked in free motion embroidery. The sunflower and leaves on the front cover were done using a soldering iron to cut from synthetic chiffon and embellished with bronze acrylic paint. Beads embellish the spine and the two button closures are "hope" and a flying bluebird, symbols of the gifts Rose has given me these past months.

No comments:

Post a Comment